Sunday, October 27, 2013

Don't Drink the Kool-Aid

Politics are definitely a hot button topic for a lot of people.  One thing I've noticed recently though is that many seem to pick a side and stick to it, blindly following with no knowledge of what is really going on or what they are even speaking on.

I definitely lean more towards the conservative side of things in most cases, but I respect those with an opposite point of view as long as they know what they're talking about.  Nothing will make me lose respect for you faster than stating an opinion with absolutely 0 facts to back it up.

Lets take the Affordable Care Act (also known as "Obamacare").  For starters, are you aware that those are the same thing?  I've seen two recent public polls where people did not realize that those two were one in the same.  I am not a supporter of the ACA, it will be detrimental to our insurance and healthcare costs as well as the care we receive.  Don't believe me?  Do some REAL research, I've actually read the ACA, have you?  I don't agree with either party who wants to discuss this without the knowledge to back up what they're talking about. 

If you are going to debate this with me but all you've got is "The Affordable Care Act is good, because it guarantees everyone healthcare," than save your breath because you need some facts pronto to back that up.  For instance, are you aware that Non-Profit research hospitals like St. Jude could face fines because they offer free or reduced cost services to the poor?  Apparently, Obama is only OK with poor people receiving free healthcare if it comes from him. Forbes even talked about this very issue here.

Recently I've seen a lot of celebrities on twitter voicing their political opinions.  I think everyone is entitled to their opinion, but when you're making millions every year, you aren't going to feel the pain from this trash piece of legislature that much of the rest of the country will face.  My problem with celebrities is that with a forum like twitter, they have hundreds of thousands of followers, and unfortunately many will blindly follow the opinion of their favorite actor not really knowing the implications.

This issue does not just stick to the liberals, I have seen dozens of false claims online about Obamacare that I then hear repeated, and quite honestly it makes some conservatives look ignorant.  The ACA is not going to have your doctor implant a mircochip under your skin to track you or subject your house to government inspections.  These types of claims are absolutely absurd and I hope none of you actually believe these.

What most of this here rant boils down to is : Please do your research!  Don't let someone pull the wool over your eyes.  If you know what is going on and what could potentially happen, then you are armed with the best weapon possible, knowledge. (Sidenote : I also think you should be armed with a shotgun or two, and maybe a 9 but that's another post for another time.)

XOXO
Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment